The church is located on the square in front of the northern gate to the fortress. It was probably founded in the first half of the 16th century and then later remodelled and expanded. It reached its final structure in the early 17th century. Seriously damaged by the earthquakes of 1703 and 1706, it was finally destroyed during the Second World War, to be completely rebuilt and re-consecrated in 1954.
Interior The interior has three naves with a barrel vault. The destruction caused by the earthquakes and the war spared almost none of the furniture or works of art that the church kept. Initially it had several altars in polychrome inlaid marble. Documents attest to the presence of nine altars in 1588 and then fifteen altars in 1630. Some of them were demolished leaving only eleven. Almost all were built between the 17th and 18th centuries by the marble craftsmen of Pescocostanzo. The baptismal font and the fine 16th century, carved, wooden pulpit, were also lost.
The only work that survived is the valuable silver statue of San Ippolito, protector of Roccaraso, made by Neapolitan craftmen and donated in 1688 by Baron Donato Berardino Angeloni.
ExteriorThe church has a sloping roof and a side bell tower. The entrance portal, raised above street level, is enclosed by an atrium with three arches which is reached via a wide staircase.